Damaged Money

Money Replacement


Handle burned money as little as possible. Attempt to encase each bill or portion of a bill in plastic wrap for preservation. If money is only half burned or less (if half or more of the bill is intact), you can take the remainder to your local federal reserve bank for replacement.

Ask your personal bank for the nearest one or you can mail the burned or torn money via First Class Registered Mail to:
U.S. Treasury Department
Main Treasury Building, Room 1123
Washington, D.C. 20220


Mutilated or melted coins can be taken to the federal reserve bank or mailed via First Class Registered Mail to:
Superintendent, U.S. Assay Office
32 Old Slip
New York, NY 10005


If your U.S. savings bonds have been mutilated or destroyed, write to:
U.S. Treasury Department
Bureau of Public Debt
Division of Loans and Currency
537 South Clark St.
Chicago, IL 60605
Attn: Bond Consultant

Be sure to include:

  • Names on bonds
  • Approximate date or time period when purchased
  • Denominations
  • Approximate number of each bond