Replacing Valuable Documents

Use this table to find out who to contact when trying to replace valuable documents that were lost in a fire. You may be able to find detailed contact information using your remaining records, or through a search engine such as Google or Bing.

Item Who to Contact
Animal registration papers Society of registry
Auto registration title Local department of motor vehicles
Bank books Your bank (as soon as possible)
Birth, death, and marriage certificates State bureau of records in the state of birth, death, or marriage
Citizenship papers U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Credit cards The companies that issued the cards (as soon as possible)
Divorce papers The circuit court where the decree was issued
Driver's license
Local department of motor vehicles
Income tax records The Internal Revenue Service Center where they were filed or your accountant
Insurance policies Your insurance agent
Medical records Your doctor
Military discharge papers Local Veterans Administration
Passports Local passport office
Prepaid burial contracts The company that issued them
Social Security or Medicare cards Local Social Security office
Stocks and bonds Issuing company or your broker
Titles to deeds Records department of the city or county in which the property is located
Warranties Issuing company
Wills Your lawyer